View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default My observatons

Yes it is tight and as mentioned it is a poor design but considering how old the docks are things were different back when they were built.
I personally have driven down the slot as we call it to the back docks with my 25 Baja many times when the front spots were taken.
We found that as long as there are no big Carvers or the like then there was more then enough room to get through. Yes is is close but not as close as it looks with well over a foot of clearance on either side.
The trick, as with backing up, if you have enough space then you only concentrate on the drivers side and know if you keep it tight then there other side of the boat will clear.
As mentioned if the wake action is bad it makes it that much tougher.
We found that getting the boat lined up and just driving through the gap at headway speed worked great.
Getting out was usually a little more challenging but we never hit another boat.
The really kool part was turning a 25ft boat around under power between the docks. We found out that once the lake goes down it gets tougher.