Thread: It Figures....
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Skip

Thumbs up Honesty is always the best policy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I read through our present SL law today and was happy to see that we ALREADY have safe and prudent...why do we need anything more?

X.(a) No person shall operate a vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under existing conditions and without regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. In all cases, speed shall be controlled so that the operator will be able to avoid endangering or colliding with any person, vessel, object, or shore.

Glad that's settled...we just needed to review the law we already had. We don't need any more feel good laws!!
You are correct....we have discussed this provision several times in the past on this site.

Right, wrong or indifferent it shows me two things...that the current sponsors have not carefully researched existing legislation, and this proposal is intended to do only one thing. Repeal the existing speed limits on Winnipesaukee.

We can all agree or disagree or even discuss compromise over the existing speed limits, but first we need to be honest with what our intents truly are. In my opinion honesty and openess remains completely lacking in the proposed legislation. A very important reason why it will ultimately be ruled inexpedient to legislate.

Its too bad. I truly believe if SBONH had been honest and open and willing to sit down to the table then a true "modification" could have been brought forward, one that maybe opened up the Broads and looked at the existing limits. But by using the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" approach, SBONH is soon to find out the realities of politics in a small State like ours....