View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Older boats before standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
While I totally understand what you are saying it is impossible to enforce your "factory standards" idea.
The problem here are the older boats before standards. I have a 1978 with silent choice from the factory. I had to take out the switching mechanism per law. MP's still think it is switchable because they are not mechanically inclined. I had to take the whole mechanism out anyway because the DARPA units will not fit. DARPA was the quietest and least restricive in its days. Still EXPENSIVE! It is still loud so I carry the paper with me that I have pass the 'flyby' test off Timber Island several years ago. Every time I launch at Glendale, an MPO would come over.

My dad has an early 1940 Higgins race boat. It has an old aircraft engine. Now this is so loud, that we have to wear ear muffs. No way can you put mufflers on this baby! You would have to custom make 8 tiny mufflers for each exhaust! What is funny, I think because of its novelty. No one question the noise. Not even the MP.

That being the case. When was the standards set? What about boats maufactured before standards? Do the 'classics' have to adhere to the noise test? Judges will take off points when you add someting to your classic if it didn't exists in its day.