Thread: Headway Speed
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #50
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
While I agree with you to some extent, I cannot tell you how many times I see on any given morning commuting to work seeing people blowing through the ezpass lanes in the toll booth and setting it off either with no ezpass or one that is past due. Thankfully there are cameras there to record this and nail the people doing this, otherwise how many armies of cops would be needed to catch the violators, how much of a traffic disaster that would cause, safety problems and lost revenue to support the highway system? I can see if this were not in place tolls would be increased and increased placing the burden on the ones that do pay to make up for the ones that are not. I say in this case, I like the fact there are cameras to catch the violators.
Toll booths are an exception for the reasons you state, as well as to save money on the toll collector salaries. Camera's have, for the most part, replaced most of the toll collectors, and it is NOT illegal to drive through an ez pass lane without an ez pass. (Most) people expect camera's to be at toll booths. As a matter of fact, there are signs on the Tobin bridge, and the Mass Pike telling motorists that they have "pay by plate" if you don't have an ez pass, and they just mail a bill to whoever the plate is registered too. The penalty for going through an ez pass lane without an ez pass is a bill in the mail for double whatever the amount of the toll was. No fine(s). I do it all the time. A 1.00 toll becomes 2.00 toll, and so on... That is in NH and Mass that I know of, but it is probably the new rule of thumb for all the states that have the ez pass system. I used to have an ez pass for a commercial trucking company that I owned, and the state was always "helping themselves" to my checking acct beyond the limits that were initially set up, so when I sold the business, I returned the ez pass, and will never get another one, and will be perfectly happy to pay double the tolls in exchange to keep "big brother" out of my checking accts from here on out...!! Big brother is NOT your friend. Thank God our founding fathers were brilliant enough to give us the second amendment...!! I don't want to get too far off topic, you know how some people get upset... LOL I'm not against camera's altogether, BUT, unlike today's Govt, they need to be (extremely) limited, and I am seeing more and more of them in my travels, and, imho, that is totally UN-American.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 06-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote