View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #56
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I have been boating on the lake for 20 years and have visited virtually every cove without fully understanding the Spar system. The Bizer map makes it reasonably simple. You just need to follow the suggested route lines on the chart. The only trick is to realize where you are on the chart at all times and look ahead for the next marker..
A couple seasons of this and you will have most areas memorized and a quick glance at the chart will remind you exactly where to go. Using the colors and compass to determine every buoy is a ton of extra work. Bizer has already done the work for you.

While I don't disagree with this in full.... Understanding the navigation aids will help you on other Lakes in NH where Bizer or others haven't created charts... But then again if you don't go boating other places well.......

I am sorry and I am not trying to make light of the truth of your statement, but that is like saying, you don't need to know the rules of the road to drive a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine trying to help other people navigate around the lake, let alone teach my kids to do so with out understanding the SPAR system... And how are my kids doing with it ??? They are learning, and we discuss where north is and what side of the mark they are on etc. even when I am driving....

In reality you shouldn't need to rely on a map... or chart plotter, yes they are helpful, but they are really just aids, just like the markers themselves... It does really bug me when people start relying on modern means, instead of learning the basics which are really easy....

Now with that said, if anyone wants to go out in a boat for an on the water lesson with me and my kids, I love teaching people how to get around the lake, and to do so with confidence...and be able to tell someone why they are on the side of a marker they are on.....