View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
Last week was bad with the melting, running off the hill into the driveway. Rebuilt the drive 2 years ago.. Ruined. Hired my snow plow guy, gonna redo it good and raise it above the road crown.
I, too, had trouble with both surface and subsurface water coming off the hill above my driveway. During mud season, the uphill edge couldn't be driven on; heck, I couldn't stand on parts of it until everything under it thawed and drained away. A year and a half ago I hired someone to cut in a french drain on the uphill side. This was a fabric-lined trench, with stone above perforated pipe, with the top of the fabric lapped over and covered with a few inches more of stone. The result has been worth it. The drain intercepts ground water and takes it to daylight on both ends, where it can run on down hill where I want it to go. No more Jello-like driveway.

Subsurface water migrating downhill is considerable. My drain runs out both ends much of the year. Right now it's quite a flow, a mix of meltwater and yesterday's rain. That will taper off considerably toward summer. At times it will dry up totally. At the end of the fall it continues to run well after the first snow has come.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote