View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #18
ApS

Wink Not Stats Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
"...the 3 highest months for deaths is Oct, Nov, Dec and the lowest months are June July and August...Winni's High Boating season is June, July and August..."
Ocean stats?

Quote:
"...I do not believe that NH reports its inland lakes deaths/accidents to the CG. I could be wrong though..."
In 2002—in a state having "80% of boaters with alcohol on board"—NH recorded two (2) arrests for BUI.

Quote:
"...Over two-thirds of all fatal boating accident victims drowned, and of those, ninety (90) percent were not wearing a life jacket..."
PFDs aren't body armor: How many were struck directly while wearing a life jacket?

Anyone read the legal disclaimers on the latest jackets? ("Not for speeds over 45-MPH") How many PFDs were ripped off by ejection of a passenger over 45-MPH? And skiers?

Quote:
"...The 12,692,892 boats registered by the states in 2008 represent a 1.4%decrease from last year when 12,875,568 boats were registered..."
Except for a noisy few boaters, the thrill of boating has become more expensive and less enjoyable. (It's a decade-long trend, prompting a huge ad-campaign by boat manufacturers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
"...see how many are under 10 mph or NOT MOVING..."
More importantly, contrast the extremes between "No Engine" and "Unknown Power". (Even worse, when "Over 250-HP" is thrown in). You don't want to be in either extreme!

Quote:
"Honey, before that sailboat interrupted our fun, were we told if ethanol had reduced our horsepower from 1300 to 1100?"

"Sorry, officer, I don't know what horsepower my boat has". Maybe after we've dried off and we can locate just where our boat ended up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
I think that any boat that has the potential to go over 55 MPH and is used on any Lake or Pond in NH should have a governor (speed limiter) on it.
1) I'd like to see every governor (speed limiter) taken off.

While there'd be a lot more boats being towed, most would deserve the destruction of their engines through abuse.

2) On Lake Winnipesaukee at least, every boat does have a governor—it's called a "driver"—who will pick-and-choose which laws to observe.

3) While we're at it, another compromise:
Have NH legislators invalidate every boating insurance liability policy.

Insurance doesn't pay for collisions perpetrated by drunks anyway, but sober "drivers" will exercise far more caution. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...It looks to me that traveling under 40mph can be pretty dangerous...
Tell me about it!