View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
NH_boater

Default Bridge clearance - Alton Bay

I am interested in renting a slip in Parker this year for the first time but I have a bridge clearance concern. My boat is listed with 60" bridge clearance and the Alton (rt 11) bridge to Parker seems to be designated at 60" as well, at full lake level. I am not sure where the 60" is measured (side of the arch? top of the arch?) I have a 23' Crownline Bow Rider.

I have two sets of questions.

1. How often does the lake rise above full? I do not want to restrict access to the boat because the lake is high under normal circumstances. I understand the possibility of a severe flood but how often is the lake above full? The lake level charts seems to indicate the average goes right to full every May/June. This tells me that every year there is a 50% chance of going above full. Standard deviation shows typical rise is 4-6" when above in Jun, if I am reading this right. If the lake is 6" above full, I am guessing that I cannot cross. Any experts want to educate me?

2. Does anyone dock at Parker or Gillan that regularily crosses this bridge that has a bridge clearance on their boat at or around 60"? How much clearance should I expect during normal boating levels?

I have seen some pretty impressive go fasts in Parker and Gillan and a 35 footer seems to typically have a 6' clearance. Can this be right?

Any advise or experience is GREATLY appreciated.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote