View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #44
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
This thread hits a nerve with me.
Briefly....
I've always said/felt...any major item...boat, car, appliance, whatever. A consumer should stick to one place...sales/service/parts/maintenance, all under one roof.
May cost a bit more, but the right place will take care of you, appreciate the business, and assume all liability...thus giving the consumer an added benefit for their money..."peace of mind".
In this example, the consumer wants to save a few bucks, so he does his own diag/parts research, "knows a guy" who can get him a good discount on parts, and has still a third party install such parts.
And then, of course, "it's his fault" "no, it's HIS fault" "no wait, it's that guys fault".
In the end, how much did you save? People outsmart themselves in this world every day.
Totally an appropriate perspective. I like to learn new things and will attempt to accomplish somethings as a "shade tree mechanic". When I get in trouble or confused I will seek (and pay) for assistance. Many times it costs me more than if I had someone take care of everything, but, I would have missed the chance to learn. Knowledge does not come without cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post: