View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Really great photos and articles RG.Thanks.Where do you find all this great stuff? SS
My pleasure. History of the lake should be shared and I am enjoying it. There are so many wonderful stories and pictures I am having a hard time pacing myself. I’ll try to be good.
A while back Dave R brought this book to my attention on the forum. It is called Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee, by Paul H. Blaisdell. I was lucky enough to find a copy. It was first published in 1936, and then republished in 1975. I suspect that the author is no longer with us and I cannot find any information on the publisher either.
I also found another interesting book, Winnipesaukee Whoppers, Fabulous Legends of the Lake Once Called Winnipiseogee by Elizabeth Crawford Wilkin. This one was published in 1949 and again in 1960. It has a different spin on The Witches and a couple ideas of how Barn Door Island got its name. A slightly different telling of Becky’s Garden as well as a crazy tale of the Barber Pole.
Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee is definitely better and when I run out of stuff for that, I will work on the Whoppers. It will definitely keep me busy over the winter and keep my mind off pining to be at the camp.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post: