View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Really have to be careful doing this, I knew somebody that burned their house down doing this very thing. They had an electrician come in and put in a mechanical cutout, wired the generator and did not tell them anything more such as you cannot just run everything with what they had.

It is critically important to understand what the generator can handle far as output both steady state and startup. Equally important in understanding the draw of what is being plugged in, and how many really both to know that?

When I wired my house I put in a sub panel and moved only the circuits I needed to power into it. That gave me some level of confidence I would never overdraw my generator's capacity. Of course when powering outlets anything can be plugged in but I just calculated the total amount of draw possible for the circuit and went with that.
The genny's breaker didn't trip when pulling too much power? Weird.

The bigger danger is when people backfeed through a 220v outlet such as an electric clothes dryer or stove. That can leave the main open and backfeed the power lines resulting in major potential damage and death.

Using a (properly installed) mechanical interlock, the real only danger is having too many circuits on at the same time, and that's easily remedied by a few stickers.

The person looking to do this would, most likely at least, understand that much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: