View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
6000kw or 6000 watt? I'm assuming the latter.

Why go through the trouble of running multiple cords and separate connections? If the machine has a 220v output, run it directly to your panel with a mechanical interlock and then you can run any of the circuits in your house.

Because I am fully electric—heat, clothes dryer, water heater, etc.—I can't run my whole house off a portable generator, but it's a breeze to click off those circuits (that I've marked with pink stickers) and electrify the rest, which means any lights, fridge, garage door openers, computer network gear, etc. can be used.

Much easier than running multiple cords, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Really have to be careful doing this, I knew somebody that burned their house down doing this very thing. They had an electrician come in and put in a mechanical cutout, wired the generator and did not tell them anything more such as you cannot just run everything with what they had.

It is critically important to understand what the generator can handle far as output both steady state and startup. Equally important in understanding the draw of what is being plugged in, and how many really both to know that?

When I wired my house I put in a sub panel and moved only the circuits I needed to power into it. That gave me some level of confidence I would never overdraw my generator's capacity. Of course when powering outlets anything can be plugged in but I just calculated the total amount of draw possible for the circuit and went with that.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote