View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Garage Ready Freezers

Does anyone have knowledge or first-hand experience with what are called “garage ready” freezers, sold at local big-box stores and at Major Brands? From information I have found, they are advertised as “proven to operate where temperatures run between 0 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit." It is also noted that they probably only function at the zero degree temperatures if the garage is insulated or is partially heated to some extent. My parents purchased a chest freezer around 1951 and it ran continuously with no issues for 62 years in a shed attached to the house, which was both unheated and uninsulated. It may have had a minimal amount of heat coming in from the house. I don’t recall how low temperatures reached in the shed during the winter. When it stopped operating in 2013, a search was done in the hopes of replacing it, but at that time the only freezers manufactured would not function in temps that went below 32 degrees. The new “garage ready freezers” came on the scene around 2018, but whether they are the same as the old ones, I don’t know and have been unable to find out. My question is, will they run in the same cold temps as the old ones did? I remember that a neighbor had one outside in a lean-to, covered with a tarp and apparently had no problem with it.

I would greatly appreciate input from anyone with knowledge concerning the new “garage ready” freezers of today. The ones available at the above stores are General Electric models, but I believe Frigidaire also has similar ones. I would hate to take the plunge and find out the hard way that my "garage ready freezer” was not quite “ready" enough to withstand a Lakes Region winter.
Chickie
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote