View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,017 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here and you all can help me out........

I too use a GPS ..... what I'm failing to understand is -- If you have the lake markers properly depicted (and theroticaly know where your going). Why is the "route" (or for that matter the breadcrumb function) so important?? And yes, I drive extensively at night -- probably the only time when I actually pay any attention to the GPS --other than perhaps trying to find a particular marker in the sunlight glare or extremely choppy waters.

If you are relying on a "route" -- sounds to me that you shouldn't be out there. Again, not attacking anyone here ....just failing to understand
We stay out on Welch Island a few days a week mid April through mid October and normally boat into Glendale early in the morning. In September and October with a warm lake and cool mornings there is often a good layer of fog out there. We travel across at a slow speed and it is very useful to monitor the position of the boat relative to the stored path to Light 26 and then to the docks. Yes we have a compass but it is hard to keep to a precise heading at slow speed so the chart plotter is a good check. Also we found that we could not totally isolate the dash mounted compass from the electro magnetic fields set-up by running lights and windshield wipers.

We have had at least one occasion when we had to take a person to the mainland at night in fog and rain and it was real nice to be able to follow the stored route as a check on the compass.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote