View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 01:16 PM   #18
Sue in NH

Default Little Spokey

In response to Winnilakegirl’s post…I’m that sister that had the rollaway bed at Little Spokie (sorry, Winnilakegirl…Spoky Spot is the “mother” camp where the landlord lived…right above us on the top of the cliff). But I have to agree with her on this is the best memory ever….our camp in Alton Bay. Our famous waterfights often included the next door neighbors as well, no matter who rented the place out. Remembering those tiny pine needles everywhere…you always woke up with a stash under your covers. Every year the boathouse would be leaning more and more into the lake…I used to put on my dad’s skates and stand there…and rolling along without even trying. That leaning pine tree on the point it still there… I relived the memories she wrote out..and wish my son could enjoy these as well. But unfortunately, change happens…and our wonderful camp was sold and the new owner renovated it and added a mansion at the top of the cliff. The new version of our camp can be seen on this site at http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...cat=503&page=2 but this is no way our camp anymore. Those stairs shown now are no way the “fun” stairs and ramps we traveled each trip. We’ll never be able to visit our old camp anymore…one time we were checking on our friends camp (landlord’s camp, Spoky Spot) in the off season (which we typically did) and we had the police called on us by the new owners of “our” camp. They were building their mansion in our “parking” area and thought we were trying to steal from them. Luckily, we have pictures of our Heaven, and it will live in our minds and hearts forever.
Sue in NH is offline   Reply With Quote