View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
jetskier

Post The key

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
First off, Gravy Boat you sent me a PM and I pretty much expected someone to comment as you did personally. Thank You. I have read all of the responces and would tend to agree with them. However, even though most contracters hire sub-contracters that are insured it doesn't necessarily mean that they know what they are doing (the subs) Just about anyone can get insurance if you pay the premiums. Actually anyone can get get insurance if they pay the preium. I am not sure of who has to be licenced in the State of NH other then plumbers and electricians and Gasfitters but that is one person/company that I would expect to be reputable with a Masters licence in order to pull permits for the town. I could go on and on about builders. licences, permits etc. but will stop. In summary, I would still go on reputation with references as others have stated.
In the final analysis, you really need to know the subcontractors that the general contractor is using. The top contractors know the top subcontractors. I have found in working with a top notch contractor that I am learning who the best people are in the area. The problem with home construction when you use a lesser general contractor is that unless the subcontractors are extremely good, they create issues and do not flag issues that can be corrected early in the process. If the general contractor does not intercede...problems are created and typically cascade.

There is a house a couple of doors down under construction and I can tell you all the mistakes that the subcontractors have made. When the construction is completed, many of them will be covered up and only become an issue down the line.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote