View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
jetskier

Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Did you pay someone for a home inspection? If so rhis may get you some relief,I had a problem that the inspector missed on an as is purchase and I went after the inspection company and got half the cost of repairs for the failures missed by the inspector.
Yes we did have an inspection done. There are a couple of interesting issues with home inspectors:
  1. Even though they work for you, they are mindful that they need to keep relationships with the brokers. As such, they don't usually want to screw up the deal
  2. They do not seem to be as capable as the craftsperson that works in the trade

The home inspector caught the incidentals but not the major problems. The heating system installation utilized used parts and the ductwork was too small to actually heat and cool the house. The drains for the AC were dumped into the attic (that would have been nice). The venting for one furnace went into a living area (can you say die?). That installation was done by Schneider (bad bad news).

I believe that the culpability limitation for the home inspector is the fee.

OK, the guy that built my house was Dave Hendrick. He has now formed Hendrick home builders and is building more spec houses. This guy is bad news; we have a reputable builder fixing all the stuff he messed up (much more than the HVAC stuff). Forewarned/forearmed

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote