View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #68
ryin

Quote:
I've always wanted to snorkel in the witches and the middle ground shoal. Anybody tried? Seems like waves might be a problem...
Quote:
Out of curiosity, where did you anchor to do this? I'd love to do it myself, but would be paranoid to get anywhere near the Witches.
I also snorkled in the Witches, we anchored on the southern side around the red spar next to FL 27 spar. I slowly moved in just outside the spar and anchored there. had about 12-15ft of water under us. suprisingly I did not find much in the witches, a lot of rocks and a few large and lazy Bass, but didnt find to many broken lower unit pieces. When I swam back to the boat, had noticed something shiny right below the boat, dived down to retrieve a nice little anchor. It was a bit wavy, but not to bad.

I also snorkled the right off Fish island after friends of mine had missed the markers and drove straight through it, completely tearing off the lower unit, the first day of a week's vacation. That place is a mess! 3 huge spines jet out from the island to the markers, with rocks and huge bolders less than 6" under water. Found many pieces of props, skegs, lower units... even an old nokia cell phone!

I also had an accident last summer in moultonborough dont remeber the name of island it was near, but I was following my gps trial, and slightly was off course about 15 ft. I was traveling about 23mph trying to get back to long island bridge marina for gas before they closed in 10 minutes (had to make it back to weirs) well I noticed I was off the trail a little, looked up and I was on the wrong side of the marker, looked at the depth finder and it shot right up to 5ft...3ft... I quickly through it into neutral and started trimming up, then BANG BANG BANG and watched the outboard be jammed around. didnt take off the skeg but did wear down about 1/2" on the front of it. luckily I noticed in time and trimmed up. if I didnt it would have been ripped off. That was my first accident and also had the GPS and chart out. after this I made a custom map for my garmin gps containing all bouys, routes, rocks, and tried it out this year and worked like a charm.
ryin is offline   Reply With Quote