View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #26
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
You might have a point if the wires were undisturbed.... However he changed the spark plugs.
The plugs were changed in response to poor performance, or, to put it another way, the problem appeared *before* the plugs were changed.

Except in air-cooled applications, silicone wires have exceptional longevity. The wires may be 13 years old, but the engine has 160 hours on it. I put that many hours on the lake in one summer.

And actually, there is a way to check a coil. Snap-On and MAC sell relatively inexpensive coil testers, and there are probably far cheaper testers on the market today. You just dial in the suspect coil to the point of spark failure, and the analog dial will advise if the coil is marginal or not. I'm not advising that bigdog go buy one, however. Use of darkness to pinpoint an ignition problem IS worthwhile and costs nothing. Humidity, like we had yesterday, increases the effects.

As for the old gas, it can be put in proper containers and sold to those who would mix it with fresh gas. The cost of new containers can be recouped when the old gas is sold. With those additives, I doubt that the gas is so bad that it can't be used as normal. Even then, it can be added in increments to a near-full tank on a truck, lawn mower or the older 2-stroke outboards, which have a great tolerance for old gas mixes.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote