View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
Woodsy

When exactly did this problem start??

Essentially your motor starts breaking down under load. This would tell me that there is an ignition or fuel delivery problem somewhere.

I seriously doubt a 95 V6 has points & condenser, so to clarify... you do have an electronic ignition.

The fuel side is an easy test.... attach a pressure gauge in-line before the carb.... splash boat, check fuel pressure!

The ignition side is a bit trickier. But I have my suspicions!

Step 1: You said YOU changed the spark plugs. I would check them to make sure you didnt crack one installing them. Pull each one out one at a time and thoroughly inspect the plug. Note the color of the electrode on each plug. Any plug that looks signifigantly different from the rest might indicate a problem with that cylinder....

Step 2: When was the last time your ignition wires were replaced? I think these are the most likely culprit! The insulation on those breaks down over time, especially in a moist marine environment. You might have inadvertantly cracked a wire when you installed the spark plugs.... Replace each wire individually so as not to screw up the firing order. Double check that you didnt screw up the firing order when you changed the plugs the first time.

Hope this helps...

Woodsy