View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #48
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The damage in the photos is amazing. I remember the photos from the smaller boat that hit Eagle Island. It seemed to go up on the rocks and eventually slide along the ground on the island. This boat seems to have absorbed all the energy by crushing hull. On the news, it looked almost like a rock wall just at the water line. I think were showing the point of impact. The picture is not really close enough but the hull is also surprisingly thin.
These boats have a good reputation, but that hull IS thin. Other large boats have been known to climb over Lake Superior's rock jettys at high speeds saving their drivers. Some fiberglass cloth hanging low from deckline level on this Formula don't appear to have been thoroughly infused with resin. Possibly an error in construction? Fiberglass cloth is now made in China.

I correct myself on the amount of light available.

Just checking today's weather, I see that there is a full moon. I saw other boats miles away after midnight so the visibility was very good, at least after midnight. This boat's direction was from the most open part of the lake, so distractions or just not paying attention seems likely. Comments of a temporary government suspension of GPS seem hardly likely at all.