Thread: Payback Time
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #123
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I'll take that bet. I have challenged tickets many, many times in NH. I almost always win. Half the time, the police don't show up.

I bet MP folks would be even less likely to show up than small town cops, since the hearing would be scheduled well after Summer is over and (correct me if I'm wrong) most MP are part-time. The trick is to wait until the last possible moment to send the plea in and then wait until the last possible moment to request a new trial date. It would be foolish to plead guilty or nolo and pay a boat speeding fine, unless you lived really far away.
Citing doctor appointments, work needs, extreme weather, jury duty or whatever, you can ask for multiple continuances to carry the date well past Autumn, when the part-time officers have little reason to travel far to the rescheduled hearings. Even the most dedicated and determined officer still has the weather to contend with. It's no wonder that "officers don't show up".

Now with gas nearing $4, the MP may not even provide adequate travel compensation for those former officers, much less pay them adequately for their time in court and waiting for the court to call their cases.