View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #166
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
It's so much easier to get a consensus of opinion when the facts and the truth come out. If the intention of most people had been to,

1) Address the noise issue

2) Address the boaters speeding though congested areas

then,

I think you'd have had most people on board, assisting in the process. Instead of coming up with crap like wakes and erosion, not to mention malarkey about accidents and speed, we might all be talking about a new bill to add to the marine patrol's budget to enforce existing laws, and also expanding NWZ. This is how things work.

I'm certain that the lake would be a far better place if the law is not passed, and everyone proceeds along those lines. Now that "those" boat owners know what could happen, perhaps a little self-policing would be in order. It's rather obvious from the debates where the most problems are, and clearly obvious where the most upset people are.

In this day and age, having a marine patrol segment dedicated to certain trouble spots on a rotating basis is very doable.
Except that those are not the important issues.

Noise is not a prime concern, I would list it around number 8 or lower. Speeding through congested areas is not the issue. The Bear Island NWZ has been in place for about 15 years, with reasonable compliance.