View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #51
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
What little I have garnered from reading your posts I am aware that you have a runabout and an aluminum dinghy. You're the one who singled out Performance boats as the "Loon Killers." I maintain that your runabout, and mine, are just as capable of killing loons with our wakes. So you might want to drop that argument.
Unless your aluminum boat has oars or an engine made within the last 2 years you may also want to drop the pollution argument because you're polluting more than several boats combined.
Your horsepower limit equated to saving loons and solving pollution comes off as laughable when you are a contributor. Consider it an attack if you will. I am merely asking you to look in the mirror before you post ramblings that cast a negative shadow over "everyone else" but yourself.
Big wakes, especially when the lake is high in the spring can destroy loon nests or wash out the eggs. The bigger cruisers can cause huge wakes. They are not "just as capable" they are "far more capable", and far more likely. Perhaps you don't get a lot of wake where you are, but I get plenty. The wake from our boats is not much more than I get on a windy day. The big cruisers wake is a lot more than the Mount, other tourist boats or the Bear.

A few years ago I traded in my PWC for an aluminum boat with oars and a small four stoke. I miss my GTX. I use the small boat for most daily runs. However I believe that living on an island a larger boat is needed at times.

YOU are the one that said my aluminum boat is not safe in all water temperatures and weather conditions! I agree to the point that I think I need a larger boat for safety at times. I don't know what kind of boat I will buy to replace my bowrider when that time comes. But pollution, horsepower and wake will be a large part of my decision.

The "look in the mirror" type of argument can be made about anybody that owns a power boat.

If they don't own a power boat then the obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Did you ever see "Catch 22".