View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #42
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist
Dpg......my family, grandfather & father, owned a gas station business between them for over 60 years. If not for the mechanic work, snow plowing contracts, and toward the end food sales, they could never have made a living on just selling gas, the profit per gallon is very tight. You don't have to believe it......but it's common knowledge in the business.
If all this is true..... How do the people that operate stictly just gas station stay in Business.... I have several around me that just sell gas... and believe me they are not hurting.....

The truth, as long as high volumes are paired with a small profit margin it all works out in the wash.... just becuase the profit margin isn't as big as a loaf of bread doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Could a Gas station in the lakes region servive without a convience or repair operation? probably not..... There isn't always enough volume.....

Bars have one of the best profit margins I know of..... But yet I see alot of them struggle...... why? If they don't get enough volume even the best margin doesn't help.......