View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #33
ghfromaltonbay

Default God's Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo
As a child, born in '52, I used to come up every summer to spend 2-4 weeks with my grandparents and LOVED it. We lived in NJ and I use to bring back a sack full of pine needles, pine cones and anything else that would smell like the lake. My parents use to make me keep it in the milk container in the backyard (yes, in the 50's we use to have a milkman, even in NJ), but I would love to smell it every chance I got.
Wow, Steve, you're history sounds like mine. I too was born in 1952 in northern NJ and we had a milkman (Ray) and also the Dugan's cake delivery at our house. My parents first visited NH in 1950 on their honeymoon and we started coming to Winni for family vacations in 1959 @ Sandy Point and have been there ever since. When my father retired from Ma Bell in 1985 he leased the cottage for the entire season so we get to spend May thru October at the lake. I took early retirement from Verizon in 2003 so I get to spend as much time as possible in Alton Bay too. My brothers and nephews love it as much as I do. No place like it. We too refer to it as God's country. Hopefully it will be my year-round home before too long. I've met some of the nicest people through this forum. Thank you Don Z!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote