Thread: Bears...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam

OH - one last comment - LI - as fellow rez of "the island" - which should have been renamed DEER Island - I have to respectfully disagree that the deer herd was dealt with appropriately. On any given day we still have high numbers of deer dining on our property - we have no vegitation on our 2.5 acres of land because the deer see to it to trimming everything in sight!

We are connected via land bridge - so the deer have all the access they need. Thats always a funny sight - my kids and their friends LOVE watching the deer cross the bridge! Maybe we need a drawbridge that can be lfted whenever the deer start up the road to crossover! Oh wait - nevermind they can swim!!
Wildwood, I didn't mean to implie that the island has fully recovered as it has not... but things are improving, I watched the fall apart through the 80s and 90s as the heard on the island grew, and now have noticed that the recovery has started. 10 years ago there was NO low level vegitation some area's are recovering quicker than others.... the ferns behind my camp for example are flurishing now. It took many years for the problem to develop to the point that it did and it will take just as long for recovery. The most important things is that the deer are healthier now, and the vegitation is comming back. The heard management is working, it is just a process that takes awhile. I just hope that the island residents continue to understand the need for the annual hunt, it was a painfull few years getting people to understand why we needed it, and I would hate to see it stopped because people start objecting to much again......

Now as for your 2.5 acres, is there something in the area that attracts the deer? I am not saying that you or a neighbor is feeding them (alothough this is still a problem on the island), but rather are you by and area where the deer like to bed down for example? My quess would be that there is something in your area of the island that naturally attracts the deer, and those areas will be the last area's of the island to recover..... Luckily even though the road is named Deer Haven, the Deer don't seem to stay around our section of the island consistently ....