View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshipley View Post
As a general rule, is it a standard practice for a builder/contractor to come back and take care of minor repairs such as nail pops, dry wall cracks from settling, etc. within 1 year?
As everyone on else has stated 1 year warranties are fairly common... With that said, you have to understand your contract, because generally what is covered is defects in material and workmanship.... damage from settling a contractor might try and not fix, as it is out of their control, unless it is proven that the settling happened because of poor site work... My parents did have a claim against a builder like that, but everyone knew that settling was going to be an issue, until some final drainage work was done..... My father held a fairly substantial amount of funds in escrow, to ensure that the drainage work was done, and that any resulting immediate damage was taken care off...

With out funds in escrow because of something obvious a contractor really has no incentive to come back and fix issues. And some contractors just aren't interested in their overall reputation, as sad as that seems.

In the lakes region especially the contractors have more work then they can handle, and they know it... Chose your contractors wisely....