View Single Post
Old 08-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #16
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My issue this year is that more often than not captains don't think about how their path will affect others', which forces me to slow down or get far away from them.

Case in point: coming out from Ganzey Island yesterday, an approaching vessel, instead of doing an arc, took a straight line before turning ~90%, which forced me way outside and around.

It was the same while tubing outside Suissevale when a series of boats came through where we were circling rather than go just outside where we were keeping to.

In general, I see this as a reflection of the entitlement culture all around me: people playing Bluetooth speakers on the trail rather than headphones to keep the noise to themselves, very loud conversations everywhere I go, people taking phone calls in restaurants or during a movie, etc. etc.

Oh! And the newest one that's DRIVING ME NUTS: kids walking around restaurants. In just the last week, I've been walked into by a wandering kid (Woodstock Inn), annoyed by one walking in between our table and theirs (Canoe), and, the absolute worst, a kid walking up and asking my family questions multiple times (Bob House).

I feel like I'm being Punk'd daily and want to scream Just. Do. The. Right. Thing.

All that being said, I really do try to forgive and forget—the reality is that, in the scheme of things, most of these things aren't a big deal and are short-lived. Except for the phone call in a movie thing. Those people should be imprisoned with the guy who ran over the Hackercraft.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Ummm.... if the encounter occurred as illustrated, then the encounter happened precisely as it is supposed to! You turned Starboard, he turned to Starboard. In any case I see no entitlement in the encounter, other than you being somehow inconvenienced by having to swing wider than you liked. You also had the option to slow a little let him pass and resume your course.

Also, why are you entitled to stake out a circular area of the lake for your exclusive use to pull a tube around? You can be mad them as much as they can be mad at you... entitlement goes both ways.

Yes I agree with you in that if it were me, I would do my best to drive around the area being used by the tubers. That being said, it reeks of entitlement that you got your feathers ruffled because they had the audacity to drive thru a portion of the lake you were using. In their defense, an area that has lots of navigational hazards.

Woodsy