Thread: New Appliances
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 03:29 AM   #28
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,216 Posts

Baron's is great, but their pricing is definitely high. If buying "everyday" brands, though, it's easy to shop the competition to just make sure you're not overpaying.

I was always told to buy appliances at different times so they don't all fail within the same window.

LG and Samsung are junk for reliability but have awesome features.

Our new fridge is a bottom freezer and we don't love it. It's definitely more energy efficient than our old one, but that might simply be because it's, well, not old.

What we don't love about it: the ice bucket takes up around 20% of the frozen section. When we open the main freezer drawer, the upper freezer drawer slides out with it and I have to push it back to get into the bottom, but it always rolls back out. Because of the ice tray taking up space in the top drawer, getting something sizable in—cake, frozen baking pan—is not always easy/possible. Finding stuff requires moving things around and putting stuff in is like a game of Tetris.

I'm listing these because they're all the result of having a counter-depth model that's both very shallow and among the least wide options (but still in the "standard" size range, as opposed to "small"/"apartment" size). If you can fit a standard width, your experience might be significantly different.

Finally, and this is just a thought: if you don't have a waterline run yet, you might also avoid it in the new fridge. We opted against an ice maker for our camp fridge to avoid the chance that it might leak behind the fridge for a long time before being caught. Though, as I'm typing this, I'm thinking that putting ice cube trays into the bottom freezer we have at home would be significantly different than in the top freezer we have at camp...

Godspeed!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote