View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #37
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Welcome to the Forums, Harry Heffalump.

We hear a lot about the "me" generation and in the background, that's what we're discussing here. I want more for me, not for the boss, not for my kids or grandchildren. People don't see the long term value off paying off the mortgage, they want t6 move to a bigger house every few years. You no longer progress up through the company, you want more, you go to another company. Lots of changes. Few qualify for pensions and don't always have the self-discipline to save and/or invest.
While I agree there's a much different culture in terms of saving/being debt-free, I disagree with the job-jumping being employee-driven and believe it's more company-driven. That employees need to move because companies rarely present long-term cultures like they did in the past. I think that's totally part of what we've seen in the Big Quit/Great Resignation—that people are done jumping through hoops for companies that don't do the right thing.

One other note, about the mortgage payoff: on the night I signed a second mortgage for our camp and started teaching night school to pay for it, I listened to my first episode of Dave Ramsey, in which he told "me" that I'd just made a huge mistake creating more debt. Nine years later, and I still disagree with him, but I have totally changed a lot of what I do financially and am now almost debt-free at 45.

That decision to skip a lot of good things was hard but definitely valuable (and responsible for a lot of my..."extra"...research threads!).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: