View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,164 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Life is hard for everyone...and we all make choices....you're right, a masters degree should pay significantly more, but that's a topic for another day. I. Today's world, you need to make career choices based on opportunities and pay scale. I know a guy who is an underwater welder. He travels around the world working on large building projects. He has a high school education but makes $225,000/yr. He picked his profession based on opportunities and pay.
Making education choices based on future employment is a good start. I have a cousin who got a degree in Ancient European History and she complains about her employment opportunities.

Picking a career that pays enough to pay off your student loans is a good choice too. If you go into something like teaching, enjoy the hours and extensive vacation time, it doesn't make sense to complain about the wages in the position you choose.

Again, it comes down to supply and demand. There is a nationwide truck driver shortage and Walmart is now starting drivers at $90,000 per year. You can get Class A license in 4 weeks and go to work. Because of the shortage of Registered Nurses those wages have increased significantly faster than the cost of living.

My flying instructor (1996) is a Jet Blue Captain, with an Associates Degree and no student loans. He makes over $300,000 a year.

It is all about choices but the opportunities are there.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote