View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 08:58 AM   #30
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Even if they did follow the money who are they going to arrest in Nigeria? This is a low interest crime where it doesn't warrant the time and money to try to arrest criminals in these counties.
Maybe per crime, it's low interest, but the aggregate makes it a big deal. And I'm sure the scammers are in the felony range. I'll be willing to wager we've never investigated where these come from....international or domestic.

Bottom line, is buyer needs to be very aware these days before parting with their money.

We have no leverage with a country like Nigeria? Wow, are we that weak?

In 1997 I broke up a Nigerian fraud-ring that The Secret Service couldn't find(Secret Service investigates credit card fraud).

I had a database they had no access to and were prohibited from using my data. But since my company was in an attempt at fraud, I was able to use my data to assist law enforcement. Omeka Opara, a Nigerian national, and his entire family were arrested operating a fraud-ring through out the West coast.

My database became know within law enforcement. I used this data twice to assist law enforcement. The second time, what I did was technically illegal and I met with a government investigator in secret and busted another Nigerian family involved with welfare and unemployment fraud. It was explained to me that these operatives were sponsored by the Nigerian Govt. (whatever that is) and the operatives got to keep a percentage of the take and the rest was transferred to Nigeria.

I wonder what happens to Nigerian fraudsters in China or Russia?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote