View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
IMHO the conversion to electric/battery operated water craft and boats is inevitable and has begun. I think it will be the next big advance in boating technology.
Technology improvements in batteries and electric motors has exploded and makes it feasible though expensive for now. This said, I love internal combustion everything! Boats, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, tractors, dirt bikes, street bikes etc for all the reasons mentioned above.

A few things to consider:
-Electric motors generate most of their torque at start up. (perfect for water skiing and for those that like gut wrenching acceleration)
-No gas to pollute the water
-No oil (both 2 stroke and/or engine crankcase oil)
-Possibly no drive oil
-No power steering fluid
-No noise
-No coolant
-No exhaust
-Minimal maintenance
Just because the discussion is inevitable, doesn't mean that it is the correct thing to do. There are some myths in things you point out....

- Power stearing fluid, even electric cars have power steering it is just run off an electic pump... electric boat motors would still have to have this.... No coolant in a boat, there will likely still be need to cool the electric engine...
... Drive oil will still be needed if there is any type of gearing....

Other points I agree with you on....

I am all for electric or hybrid cars... they make sense... Electric boats jet ski etc. just don't The power that Marina, already have on the water is scary enough... We need high powered charging stations at every personal dock... I am sorry I just see how that can be safe.....