View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #234
TheRoBoat

Default From this shut in.....

Some myths and numbers

I have seen a lot of numbers bantered about here, and rather than address the posts individually, I’ll give you a Californian’s perspective.

Forget any social distancing numbers, timeframes, etc, that you have heard. The only number that matters is how long you will be under shelter in place. Complain or disagree all you want, it is almost assuredly going to happen. “The clock” doesn’t start ticking until then.

At that point, you are looking at probably 2-3 weeks minimum, as others have said. Probably much longer on a voluntary basis. And this is the key point - the longer you wait, the longer it will be before you come out of it. Not wait a day now, and it’s a day on the backend - it’s not a one to one trade off.

Forget "the Grandparents” meme. CA Covid Cases:

Ages 0-17: 25 cases
Ages 18-49: 837 cases
Ages 50-64: 442 cases
Ages 65 and older: 415 cases
Unknown: 14 cases

Keep an eye on CA’s numbers, and the numbers of States who waited much longer to declare shelter in place orders. We started the “draconian” measures much earlier. If they work, we will come out earlier as well. Of course a lot of that depends on medical supply availability, etc etc.

Both Bay area and LA health officials have said “the worst is coming”, which in the big picture is not the a bad thing to have happening right now. They imposed stricter restrictions on parks and beaches, since the public was not following guidelines.

Shaming - I won’t say whether I agree or not, I will say it is prevalent in CA. Prediction - this guy’s business is over - https://www.latimes.com/california/s...antine-shaming
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoBoat For This Useful Post: