View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 02:14 AM   #40
panjumbie

Testing here in NY state, particularly downstate has expanded in the last few days. There have been something like 22,000 tests and about 1/4 currently have come back positive. Already 25%! Everything here is shutting down, all the indoor malls, restaurants, barber and beauty shops, bars. Businesses are only allowed to have 1/4 of their workers present.

California is basically telling everyone to stay home, everyone.

If the widespread testing had started weeks ago, we'd be in much better shape, in particular, the symptomless "carriers" would have been isolated before they infected so many and the cases wouldn't have been spiking so much. We are now beginning to close the barn door, but the horses are mostly already escaped.

Before you look at the "low" numbers in NH, ask how many tests have been given and what the percentage of positives is. You may be where NY was a week ago or so, but look at where it has gone to now. Yes, the population density is less, but here on Long Island, there are a lot of cases in the low population density areas now.

This thing is not good. Too many will die, many more are taking weeks or more to recover. And we don't even know what the long term prognosis is for those recovering now.

Am I concerned, you bet. I'm 77 and have some chronic issues. I can't hibernate, I have to eat. But I'm avoiding contact as much as I can. And from what I read, this could go on for months.
The Following User Says Thank You to panjumbie For This Useful Post: