View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,638 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
I have noticed the same thing all of you have. It's been one of the worst years I've seen in regard to a bigger than normal number of Cap'n Boneheads and their companion Cap'n Oblivious.

This past weekend I had a similar experience when I realized an overtaking boat did not/could not see me. He was bow high and I could not see the person at the helm which told me they could not see me either. I didn't have a lot of room to maneuver because I was in the channel north of The Witches. I bent on the throttle to clear The Witches and the bonehead in the overtaking boat did likewise, closing the gap even more quickly than before. I went as far starboard as I could without crossing to the inside of the buoys and hit my horn 5 times. His response?

Nothing.

It wasn't until he passed within 10 feet of my port side that he even noticed I was there. His response then?

He yelled something I couldn't hear. (I could read his lips as he was quite deliberate in his enunciation - "Get the f**k out of my way!" ) He then waved at me, but only with one finger, then rolled more power and went on his way.

I have no idea what his problem was. It wasn't like I was dawdling along at headway speed, but I guess it was my fault he wasn't paying attention. That's the closest I've come to a collision in years. The yahoo in the other boat was totally clueless and apparently didn't give a damn.
I think this post shows reason to have an adequate horn on your boat.
My 2015 Bennington,which,in my opinion is a quality boat, came with a horn that cost $8 on Amazon and is not even loud enough to get attention of my neighbors when I pass their homes and give them a toot.
I replaced it with a 110dbl duel blaster that will almost take you out of your seat.
Bit of an overkill but nice to know it's there for an emergency.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post: