View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #40
correric12

Talking Sharing Marine Patrol Input

I received Input from Marine Patrol and wanted to share: This provides some decent clarity. - Thank you to Captain Tim for the timely and thorough explanation of the interpretation. Answers in Blue

Good Afternoon Marine Patrol. I wanted to ask if I could get some clarity on the proper usage of the lighting that our new boat will be equipped with.

We have recently purchased a new boat which will be delivered to us in the spring. It is equipped with blue accent and underwater lighting,

It has an arch which has 2 accent over head lights that shine down into the cockpit of the boat. Can these be used while underway at night on the lake? Can they be used while floating on the lake at night? Or only while docking? No other lighting that can be mistaken for navigation lights can be displayed while underway. Typically, all cabin lights should be extinguished with the exception of dashboard lights while underway so the operator’s night vision is not impacted by their own boat’s ambient lighting. Furthermore, any lights that can be mistaken as law enforcement, fire, or other emergency lighting (typically flashing) is illegal.

It has exterior blue lighting in vent panels on the side of the boat. Can these be used while underway at night on the lake? Can they be used while floating on the lake at night? Or only while docking? If they are on the exterior of the boat, likely only for docking if extra lighting is necessary. There is no need to display exterior lighting outside of the vessel beyond navigation lights.

It has blue underwater lighting. As we are avid boaters today and are regularly on the lake during the summer day and night. With this new trend in boating we often find it remarkable how much better a boat is identified on the lake at night while underway with rear facing underwater lights but have heard that the use of them while away from a dock is illegal. Can these be used while underway at night on the lake? Can they be used while floating on the lake at night? Or only while docking? While docked or at anchor only.

I assume the anchor light must be displayed as well when anchored with underwater lighting on. The anchor light must absolutely be displayed any time at anchor.

Can the side accent lights be displayed along with underwater lighting while anchored at night. As far as panel lights, they would be ok as long as they are not so bright that they overpower the lights required by law or blinds the night vision of other boats.
correric12 is offline   Reply With Quote