View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #50
ishoot308

Thanked 5,107 Times in 1,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yeah, though the anchor works exactly as they say, I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with some of their tests. I made my decision on a few others I'd found, one of which was the captain of a sailing vessel who used a GoPro to film how the anchors behaved both as manufacturers instructed and as he discovered worked. I think I linked the page in my official review, but if not it shouldn't be hard to find. VERY in-depth.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Yes I remember seeing that, it was good!

All boats react differently in waves and wake. What anchor works on one style boat may not work well on another. I can tell you that while I recommended a Digger for the OP on his pontoon I may not recommend it for another style boat simply because I have no experience with the other style or maybe they plan on using the boat in the ocean. I actually use a different anchor on my 22' Eastern...why, because it works and I am confident in it.

Pontoon boats are open living rooms on the water with a lot of exposed finished product, carpeting or other expensive floor options and really not the best for pulling up a muddy anchor and 4' of chain without making a mess. The Digger was designed for pontoon boats. Besides its holding power, the no chain design and ability to self clean and lay flat before putting it in your boat really are an advantage for pontoon owners to keep your boat damage free and free of bottom muck and mud. I couldn't imagine pulling up 4' of chain over my stainless floor side rails which encompass the entire perimeter of the boat without eventually marring them up somehow or damaging the floor eventually.

Now my Eastern Lobster with it's massive rub rail all around, it's self bailing rock solid deck which can be simply cleaned off with a bucket of water, as well as it no frills no bling interior, heck nothing can hurt that thing, it's a tank!! It's also my favorite boat and one I would never get rid of! I rarely anchor this boat and I actually forgot what I am using for an anchor on it (some kind of Danforth style) but it's mainly an emergency anchor. It was recommended and supplied by a dealer on the ocean who sold it to me. I do know it works very well on this boat and on Winni and I am confident in it. If I was running this boat on the ocean I would have two different style anchors, some sort of Danforth and some type of plow and scoop anchor for varying bottom and sea conditions. Luckily Winni is far from being the ocean and a one size fits all approach works just fine...

Dan