View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
persistence

Depends on how much room you have. Practice with no boats around if you can. Do touch and goes. Back in, hold on then do it again. Keep power low, if wind is not an issue, you should be able to just clutch in reverse and fwd to stop. Goosing the power can get you in trouble quick. Give yourself a little momentum, but as mentioned not much.

I always leave lines and fenders setup on the dock. It just makes things easier. And anyone on the boat can help you by grabbing one. Make sure people stay low and hold on, in case you do need to use power. I haven't had someone jump off the boat in a long time. You should be able to get the boat close enough for someone to step off. Its just safer all around. The other day my buddy who has the same boat as me, stood on the swim platform while i was tying up. It was fairly windy. I didn't like it at all, but he insisted. Turned out fine, but it's just too easy to fall off.

My 20 whaler with outboard would walk a little to the side. That's a neat trick. My twin inboard boat, While I have a lot of control, I typically have wind on by stbd bow. So I try to put the port side on my port piling to pivot. I am not afraid to make as many attempts as I need. don't let others pressure you on how long it takes. I can be just about between my pilings and come out and set myself up fresh. That first video made a good point on steering. My indboards, I dont touch the wheel. My outboard, i'd turn it first before putting in gear. That helps save space instead of turning while in gear.

And just remember to tell people, don't get between the boat and the dock, the boat will always win.
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote