View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #20
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieFishing View Post
Another topic - I'll briefly explain the symptoms then all the actions taken so far. It's a Merc 888 (302 Ford). Engine starts fine. Idles fine, purrs like a kitten. However, once warm and especially under load and higher RPMs (above 2,000) the engine bogs down then cuts out. It will restart but won't let you throttle up. Limps back to the dock at under 1,500 RPM.

Here's what I know. Electronic ignition module is good (new). Ignition coil is good (new). Cap and rotor good (not many hours, look new). Have not checked ignition switch and wiring (this could be the issue but I'm asking other opinions).

I don't think it's a fuel system issue. Carb has been rebuilt. Fuel pump is good/new. Fuel lines all good and clear. New fuel filter. New gas only in tank, old gas was siphoned out. I don't think it's a fuel delivery or carb issue unless the float is out of whack.

The issue feels electrical to me. Suggestions?
Ford electronic ignition of this vintage (EEC II, III & IV) were notorious for bad modules and would cause exactly the condition you describe. How new is the module and was it new or reman?

BT