View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #45
persistence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
You have to display the all-around white light at anchor too.
yes, the top white all around is the anchor light. if you are at anchor, you are not underway. while underway, the white all around white light is actually serving as forward masthead AND the sternlight. on larger boats, these lights will be separated for visibility and dont count as an anchor light, the masthead (225 degrees) mounted high and typically midship and the sternlight (135 degrees) typically mounted on the transom of inboard boats. the arcs of these two add up to a 360 all around. and then you will have your red and green 'sidelights' 112.5 degrees each matching the 225). The idea is from any angle, the boat should be lit. ex. if you cant see the red / green, you are overtaking. over 50 meters, you have 2 mastheads, the forward one lower than the aft, the two are line and also form a range to help determine the heading that vessel. you would also have 2 anchor lights, the fwd one being mounted higher than the aft.

I am a little confused on the licensing though. I do have USCG 100 ton near coastal. I am covered on the lake, correct? And, I was recently told to get a license to say, drive the Mount, one would need an over 40' license. which basically consists of bringing a 40'vessel to a testing place (marine patrol?) and showing you can dock it. Then, one would be licensed for the Mount. Is this true?

sorry a bit overkill, but its good to refresh

thanks
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote