View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #28
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
... you cannot just choose which state is your legal residence unless you can comply with the state requirements for legal residency. ... the idea that one spouse can be a NH resident and the other choose to be a FL resident makes no legal sense,assuming the couple lives together. ...
The last time I had any legal involvement with legal residence I was told L/R is a place where you have clothing and sleep there once a month. Compared with a domicile which is where you normally intend to be. For practical purposes I'm sure no one cares unless some kind of fraud is being committed.

As for the split residency, NH law used to be that a married woman's legal residence was the same as her husband's. Doesn't that sound a bit archaic? It was challenged about 15-20 year's ago under the NH equality law/amendment and over-turned. Given that our Supreme Court Justices can be quite creative with terms, they may have just rephrased it to 'married couples have the same legal residence.' I don't remember.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote