View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,532 Times in 990 Posts

Car registration: When I was in the insurance business in Manchester, NH, I had a non-NH client bring in a NH registration that was stamped boldly in red "Valid only in NH". If you got stopped out of state, you were driving an unregistered vehicle. There have also been statements you sign under penalty of perjury attesting to NH residency for car insurance purposes. This was to prevent people living in say, Chelsea, MA, from registering and insuring in NH when rates could vary by thousands of $$ per year.

Interest and Dividends Tax. You pay on the federal level no matter where you live. Capital gains too. Interest and dividends are taxed in NH above $2400 per person. HOWEVER, the law on trusts was changed a couple of years ago to encourage trust business in NH. NH is now the place to be, along with Delaware and Nevada, I think. NH does not tax capital gains. Interest and dividends earned in a NH Trust are not taxed. You get taxed personally when the funds are distributed to you. There is no requirement to be a NH resident to have a NH Trust, but you need a NH attorney to set it up. I have no financial interest in them, but I know Cambridge Trust set up a NH company to take advantage of the new laws, and they now have several NH offices focused on this market.

This thread has raised many questions, and the answers are very much individual. Spending a few $100 on a tax attorney familiar with all your states, or other qualified financial advisor is probably well worth the price to address how your investments are structured.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: