View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #47
mas1992bc

Merrymeeting,

You are absolutely right, and that's how lots of people feel. Because I really love the hobby and the photography, I go out of my way to explain how it works to people, and I also go out of my way to be respectful of people's privacy. I don't want a few irresponsible people out there to ruin the hobby for the rest of us who are trying to follow the rules.

For example, I wanted to so some pictures/filming at a local golf course. Instead of just flying, I first went into the club house and got permission and showed them what I would be doing (and offered to share the media). They REALLY appreciated me checking with them first, and allowed me to take whatever pictures and video I wanted to take.

As for neighbors, I try to alert my neighbors as well, and show them and explain my purpose (NOT to spy on people). A lot of people don't realize that once you get 100 feet up, since these cameras (at least my camera) do NOT have zoom capabilities, so you can't see anything meaningful that high anyways (unless you are buzzing 20 feet away from someone's face - which is obviously not cool).

It will be VERY interesting to see how this technology unfolds. Until then, I will continue to post pictures and videos here - and I hope you all continue to enjoy them!

Thanks for the thoughtful post!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
So, the lake lover in me loves these pictures and unique new perspectives on the area I live in and love. The engineer/geek in me loves the technical aspects and would really like to play with one of these for awhile. But the private individual in me worries about where all this is going.

We had some renters in a house down the shore from us this summer. They had a drone. I have to admit that I found it quite disconcerting and invasive when it came hovering over our dock area and "watched" us for awhile (twice!). I'm sure it was innocent but it felt weird and violating all the same.

I don't have an answer to what to do about it, but I do believe that some new type of regulations will need to be developed as to who, how, and when these things can be used.

Sorry if this hijacks a a thread to be just about pictures and fun. Please feel free to move and start a new thread if needed.
mas1992bc is offline   Reply With Quote