Thread: Diving
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #14
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Just to answer my own question as to how deep unprotected people could go ... I found that a few years ago somebody went to 1010 ft. Don't know the details but I guess the 600 ft I was wondering about (above) is indeed possible. Personally I think I'll leave the deeper than snorkel depths to an ROV.
The open circuit record is 1030 feet -- and that was a bounce dive. FWIW, "recreational" diving is considered to be anything to 130 ft, with anything deeper considered "deep diving." (Your mileage may vary.) Most basic certs (OW) set a limit at 60 ft. (unenforced, of course). Winnipesaukee is pretty worthless (extremely dark, murky, cold) below, say, 50-60 feet, and the 'best' diving in the Lake is probably in the 30-50 foot range.

The 600 you mentioned is indeed possible, and done fairly often, but that is a seriously deep technical dive, requiring special gases, prolonged decompression, and LOTS of training.