View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 04:48 AM   #50
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,165 Times in 907 Posts
Default Just Do It!

As others have said: If you can afford it, do it. It will never make financial sense unless real estate appreciation comes back in a big way. It will always be less expensive to support one home than two.

I have been on the lake in some way every summer since 1970. First trailering, then renting a slip at MVYC, then buying a slip, then getting a bigger boat. Each year we spent more time at the lake and it got to a point where every Friday I couldn't wait to leave the office and make the 100 mile drive to the boat. It's addictive!

While crusing on the lake I looked at all of the waterfront homes, with jealousy, and wondered how someone could ever get there. Finally in 2003 the right opportunity to buy came along and I have absolutely no regrets. You will see more of your family spending longer hours visiting, but that is a good thing.

I have now reached "that age" where I can spend the whole summer there. Someone in an earlier post said, if you are there all of time you will appreciate it less. It does become "normal" but still, 12 years later, I look out the windows at the lake and the mountains, several times a day, and think "I can't believe I am here".

Just do it! There are no luggage racks on a hearse!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote