View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
CateP

Default Five Mile Island

Saturday we woke to light rain and decided to watch the movie we fell asleep to the night before. It was a cozy, luxurious morning lolling about with the pups. But once again... No wind.

We packed up the boat and got everything ship shape for the day. This includes disassembling the bed and returning it to a dining area, packing up the mosquito screens on the hatch and companionway, putting away loose clothes, giving the doggies their last shore leave and breakfast, unplugging shore power and taking a morning bath in the lake and getting dressed. ( we are using Dr. Bronner'soap, which does no harm to the lake).

We thanked our most gracious hosts and headed east from Chases Island around Little Bear and into the Broads past Sandy Island. I will say that the Bizer app for my iPhone has been a god send. That along with the Bizer chart and binoculars has made navigating these new parts doable.

The Broads were like rolling liquid glass. No wind at all. We chugged along like a graceful trawler using up more diesel fuel than we planned for. We were told to figure about using one gallon of diesel an hour. We had three extra gallons on board so we knew we would be okay, but two days of motoring was getting old.

Our destination for the afternoon was Five Mile Island, another LRCT property on the lake. We were able to find it among the several small islands that populate this part of the lake and anchored off-shore. Surprisingly, no one else was there on that hot summer day. There was a small pebble beach on the southeast side and the water looked almost tropical in clarity and color. Gorgeous.

Once again we loaded the pups into the dinghy and I rowed them ashore. The island is 9.8 acres with a shore trail around the perimeter. We brought our walking shoes ashore in a plastic bag and took a lovely, but buggy, forest walk through an unihabited island. The comforting smell of pine accompanied us the entire way.

When we rounded the last section of the loop we felt something we had not e perienced in two days!! WIND! Yes, during our walk the wind had picked up and our boat lay anchored with no one aboard. I hoped the anchor held. We scurried back to the boat and I snorkeled around to check the anchor that had not moved an inch. (We are still learning how to securely anchor this 27 foot boat).

After a delicious lunch of sandwiches, hummus with veggies and a home made chocolate chip cookie, we got ready for our first sail of the entire trip!
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote