Thread: septic question
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
AKADQ

Post Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
looking at a waterfront home that has 3 bedrooms and a guest cottage for a total of 4 bedrooms. Site assessment says current use exceeds lot capacity but existing use is grandfathered. No problems evident with existing system. Home was built in the 70's
So what does all that mean? If I need to replace at some point and lot can only support a 2 BR system will they make me get rid of guest house or other bedrooms? Can I improve home as long as I do not add BR's?
I just went through this very same situation with an old camp we bought last year. A four bedroom main house with a one bedroom guest cottage. When we purchased we knew we needed to replace the septic system. You first need to get someone over there to do a septic design for you. Although you are grandfathered for your existing septic, it does not guarantee that you get to keep what you have. We ended up losing a bedroom in the main house in order to keep the existing one bedroom in the guest house. I felt it was a give and take wit the state and a win win for me. Yes I lost a bedroom in the main house but got to keep the one bedroom in the guest house...
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote