Thread: Canoe
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I'm not sure why it is a bad thing for a restaurant to cater to an adult audience? They probably should make it clear when they take reservations that families with children will be seated in the lower area. If you don't like it, don't go there.

As to whether children are "well behaved", all parents seem to think their little darlings are "well behaved". Can you imagine a restaurant trying to sort out the naughty or nice children? Yipes! (This may be one reason Santa lives at the North Pole, far away from angry parents) As one person stated, how could you possibly know until well into the meal. Then if they are NOT well behaved are you going to banish the group to downstairs? OMG There would be restaurant rage.

If you want a to eat in an adult atmosphere, get a sitter and enjoy your night out. If the kids must be with you, go to one of the numerous family venues around the lake.

Having said all that, I rarely eat at Canoe. The meals are mostly fine but quite pricey, IMO.
I would have had no problem with clear feedback at the time the reservation was/is made. Have them clearly state 'if you come with children you can expect second class treatment at the same first class pricing, whenever we happen to be busy. Otherwise, you are all set' That is what it is and if that is the way they want to run their restaurants, please just man up and tell it like it is. We would have told them to shove it in a second if we were told how it would be. There are many better places to eat at, that is for sure.

To show up a bit before the accepted dinner reservation, having to wait a long time, more than 30 minutes past the reservation time, then getting a raised cocktail table for a party of three adults and three children, beside a bar with loud, foul-language-spurring-adults is completely unacceptable to any retional person. That is what we got and then they told us "if we did not like it we could leave". That is what we did and that is why I will never drop this. The public has to know what they are in for. Buyer beware!

Canoe was, and maybe still is, making judgments on how well the children might be behaved based on how busy they are. Weeknights we were good, weekends we were bad. Simple! If they were not busy, your kids were fine, if busy, they do not really need you. Clear message then and I guess still the way today.

This was a long time ago for me, but the memories do not get erased. The more I read about them still having this policy, the more upset I get.

Our last night at Canoe was clearly the worse dining experience I have ever been involved in, in all of my now 65 years of life. As I said, many better places were families will be welcomed and treated with respect.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote